Health and Digital Centre
The Health and Digital Centre is a state of the art, purpose-built new build further education facility providing access for students to career enhancing courses with the latest equipment and technology, within a range of healthcare, computing and digital professions.
The new building is at Bury College’s town centre location, close to the metro bus interchange and Bury market and provides 2,600 m2 of accommodation on 4 floors.
The building is equipped with an immersive digital environment, flexible IT and Esports suites, teaching laboratory, dental studio, simulated hospital ward and domestic (home) learning environments.
Wilson Mason added value by suggesting and then providing design solutions to specific issues raised by the client.
- Maximising site utilisation – the design approach adopted by Wilson Mason maximised the height of the building to reduce the building footprint to leave site area for future development.
- De risking future expansion space – obtaining planning approval for an additional wing as part of the planning application for the project.
- Easing future expansion – the foundations for a future lift and detailing to the abutment to enable less intrusive work when the additional wing is constructed.
- A professional environment – the project interior is designed to provide that of a health environment to create a more immersive experience.
- Minimising teaching interruptions – smart phone charging units were suggested and then incorporated into the classroom designs to provide a secure space to safely store and charge mobile phones during learning sessions.
- Improvement of student safety – individual WC cubicles were provided, excluding unsupervised space, and anti-barricade doors provided.
Photography Oliver Foxley